Mitsubishi Evolution 8 Turbo Upgrade



       This is the end product of the work that I have been doing recently, I built a long runner turbo manifold for this setup and wanted to make sure that it worked with the stock upper radiator hose fitment. I did have to trim the radiator hose about an inch or so because I did not feel comfortable with all of that heat being localized on the upper hose. Eventually I will add some heat shielding to keep that portion of the hose from getting to hot. 

Wastegate

       The wastegate is a purple Tial 38mm MVS series wastegate set at about 15 lbs of boost for my base tune. The wastegate dump is placed to vent directly out of the hood and sits about a 1/4" away from the mesh hood grill. I have never done pie cuts before but decided that I wanted a different look from the smoothness of a mandrel bent pipe. I also flame colored the end of the tip to add some color instead of having the entire pipe polished. To get the dimensions I used a pie cut calculator that I found online from MotoKarts at this link(click here). 

       I found that when you use smaller angles that you can get a smoother bend over using large angles which can make really sharp bends. I put my bandsaw at about 7.5 degrees and cut about a 1/4" on the short side and 3/4" on the long side. This gave me a fairly smooth radius but still enough of the pie cut look. I did do a little bit of experimenting with this and found that anything greater than 15 degrees started to oval out the pipe which made fitment difficult if you move back down to a smaller angle. 

Turbo Manifold

       The turbo manifold was built from schedule 10 stainless weld els from Ace Stainless and the head flange is made from mild steel. This  manifold took me quite a bit of planning due to the complexity of the bends and I had to redo some of the runners a few times to make sure the fitment was correct and there was ample room between the manifold and the radiator. Initially I had another manifold built for this build but when I got the new radiator the manifold was to close due to the additional 1/4" thickness of the new radiator. The manifold was jigged up in the car first and then I built a jig to make sure that I did not get any warping on any of the flanges. I also backpurged this manifold with argon when I did the full passes. 

Exhaust

       The fitment of the 3" O2 housing is tight but it leave about a 1/4" gap between the A/C compressor and the pipe. This could have been a bigger size gap if I was using a different turbo that was tangential instead of a Holset that is tangential but has the internal wastegate. This added about 1.5" inches to the width of the turbine housing. So with the fitment being so tight I added exhaust wrap to the O2 housing. 

       I utilized my existing downpipe but cut the stock two bolt flange off for a v-band flange setup and had to add a v-band flange right before the flex pipe to get the proper angle for everything to go together flush. 

Turbo


       The turbo is a Holset HY-35 and I wanted to see what kind of power it would make on an Evo motor since the HX-35 makes over 600 on the 4G63 engines. I pulled the turbo apart for inspection and welded the wastegate flapper shut and cut the wastegate arm off and welded that so that there would be no chance of the wastegate flapper moving. On the compressor cover I weled a -4 AN fitting for my boost source that I plumbed directly into the wastegate for now for my initial tune. Later on I will put the boost line into the Grimspeed boost controller and then make a new line to go to the wastegate to turn up the boost a bit. 

Intake

       The intake is still my old 3" intake pipe and HKS mushroom filter that I was using on the stock turbo but I am going to build a new intake pipe (4") that will replace that and I may run a purple HKS filter to go with the color scheme. I am still shopping around for a filter but I may go with a different kind, but that is still up in the air right now. If anyone knows of a less restrictive intake please leave your suggestions in the comments. 

Powdercoating

       For powdercoating I had decided a long time ago that I wanted to go with a purple theme for this car when I installed my Aquamist HFS-6, when I went  to find the retailer that I purchased the original AN fittings from I was unable to locate them. I did not want to change up the color scheme so I bought black AN fittings an powdercoated them the color that I wanted. The powdercoat that I used for this project was from Powder Buy the Pound and the colors were Aluminum Basecoat and Violet Transparent. I did the AN fitting and the valve cover with these two colors. I initially started out with a HF powdercoating gun but moved over to a dual voltage powder coating gun from Eastwood. The HF gun worked really well for a single stage powder coat but I ended up having difficulties applying the second stage which is a candy clear. I kept getting the faraday cage effect when applying the powder and there would be areas with pimple looking areas where the powder would not take. I ended up re-doing the valve cover 3 times due to this and finally got it looking halfway decent on the final try when I preheated to 200 degrees and spraying powder like a mad man. I purchased the Eastwood gun and have used it on testers that I will post later after I get pictures. 

Misc

       Minor things that I had to get to complete this project were , 10 mm x 1.0 -4 AN banjo fittings  for the  block, two 45 degree -10 AN two 90 degree -4 AN fittings, and 4 straight fittings, Evo 8 silicone radiator hose kit, Mitsubishi -10 Oil Drain Flange, extend the lower intercooler pipe, 4" to 3" silicone reducer for the compressor inlet and a 2" to 2.5" for the compressor outlet. I did get a new radiator from Full Blown Motorsports, and I built custom radiator brackets for the FAL puller fan that is a 12 inch fan. I did do a mini wire tuck of the wiring that was on top of the intake manifold and also tucked the fan controller by the windshield washer fluid res that I turned into a meth/water injection tank. 






























0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About